Thursday, February 27, 2014

Vanilla Butter Cream Frosting

My niece believes that when ever it is someones birthday, you must have cupcakes.  She was coming to visit us to celebrate my and my daughter's birthday, so I decided I better make cupcakes for her.  I grabbed a cake mix... heaven forbid that I, who strives to make everything homemade, would grab a cake mix! -- Hey, it was on sale AND I had a coupon and only paid $.19 for it -- Well, I looked on the back of the mix and it said "for 24 cupcakes..."  I was like NO.  I do not NEED 24 cupcakes.  I need 7... one for each person.  They would only be here one day and I did not want a ton of cupcakes to eat.  Well, I went searching for a cupcake recipe, where I had all the ingredients and it only made a small number of cupcakes.

I found this site: Joy the Baker.  There was a recipe for 12 cupcakes.  I have to admit, the cupcakes were an epic fail on my part.  I have no idea what I did wrong with the batter, but the icing was fabulous.  This butter cream icing recipe was attached to the before mention cupcake recipe.  I thought it that I would just try it instead of digging through my recipe box for my normal recipe.  It tasted great!  My daughter thought so too...  She licked the bowl almost clean afterwards and was covered in green frosting!  I did modify it slightly from the recipe on the site.  I did not have whole milk, so I used 2% and I accidentally grabbed the salted butter, but it still turned out wonderful.



Vanilla Butter Cream Frosting
Ingredients
2 cups powdered sugar
5 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Direction
  1. Beat the butter and powdered sugar together until mixed.
  2. Add the milk and vanilla and mix until well blended, about 5 minutes.
Notes
Recipe makes enough to frost 12 cupcakes.  To make enough for a two layer cake, just double the recipe.

Beat the frosting longer to make it fluffier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is homemade worth it?

2 cups powdered sugar = $.54
5 tablespoons butter = $.325
2 tablespoons milk = $.03
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract $.09

One recipe of frosting = $.98.

I will have to look to see how much frosting costs at the store since I haven't bought it in so long! 

No comments:

Post a Comment