Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Buttered Rice

I made this simple recipe when my parents can to town.  Normally, I cook rice in some sort of broth for flavor, but that night I did not have any on hand.  I just made buttered rice.  I grew up eating this all the time.  My parents wondered why I did not make it in a rice cooker.  I responded saying that it takes much longer to cook that way, and I think it is just fine in a pot!


Buttered Rice
Ingredients
1 cup rice
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons butter

Directions
  1. Bring water, salt and 1 Tablespoon of butter to boil on the stove.
  2. Pour in rice, cover and turn down the heat so rice simmers.
  3. Let the water cook out.  This takes about 20 minutes.
  4. Fluff rice with a fork and add the other Tablespoon of butter.
  5. Once melted, gently stir in the butter.
Notes
I always check the rice at about 15 minutes.  If there is any water left in the rice, I let it continue cooking.  Make sure not to leave the rice on the eye after the water is boiled out.  It will stick and burn very quickly.

This recipe makes just enough for our family of 3.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How much does this cost?

1 cup rice = $.50
1 teaspoon salt = $.007
2 Tablespoons butter = $.13

So, one recipe costs around $.64. 

No comments:

Post a Comment