Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Taco Soup

The first time I had taco soup, I was skeptical on whether or not I would like it.  I never really liked many soups, especially those filled with tomatoes.  I did slightly modify the recipe my friend gave me for this soup to make the tomatoes less chunky and toned down the spice slightly, but it still has a great taco taste that I can enjoy.



Taco Soup
Ingredients
1 lb ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cups of water
2 cans tomatoes (sauce or diced)
1 can pinto beans
1 can corn
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 can rotel and chilies

Directions
  1. Brown meat and onions together.  Drain off fat.
  2. Put into large pot.  Dump in all other ingredients.
  3. Bring to boil and then turn down to simmer for at least one hour before serving.
Notes
Original recipe called for one pkg dried ranch seasoning.  We are not big ranch eaters at my home, so I just omitted it with good results!

This recipe easily feeds 8-10 people.

Have Leftovers?  Freeze it!  Place extra soup in single serving freezable containers or plastic bags.  When you want soup, just pull it out, thaw and heat!  It is just as good as freshly made soup!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How much does it cost?

1 lb ground beef = $4.00
1/2 onion, chopped = $.40
2 cans tomatoes = $2.00
1 can pinto beans = $.79
1 can corn = $1.00
1 pkg taco seasoning = $50
1 can rotel and chilies = $1.00

This recipe costs $9.69.  This recipe can easily feed 8-10 people.  One serving of taco soup, assuming 8 servings, costs $1.21. 

No comments:

Post a Comment