Saturday, August 23, 2014

Cornbread

I love a good hot piece of cornbread, but not sweet.  I do not like sweet cornbread.  To me, cornbread should not taste like cake.  This recipe is the one my grandmother passed down through the family.  I remember the first time I tried to make cornbread.  It stuck in the pan and fell all apart.  My husband tried to encourage me and said it still tasted great, which it did. 


Ingredients
2 cups cornmeal      
2 egg
1/2 cup sweet milk      
1 teaspoon sugar
1 stick butter
water

Directions
1. Mix cornmeal, milk, eggs and sugar.
2. Melt butter in an iron skillet.
3. Pour butter into other ingredients but make sure to keep the iron skillet hot.
4. Add water until the batter is fairly thin.
5. Pour the mixture into the hot iron skillet.
6. Bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.

Notes
Makes a 10 inch cake of cornbread. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is homemade worth it?

2 cups cornmeal= $.38
2 egg = $.28
1/2 cup sweet milk = $.12 
1 teaspoon sugar = $.02
1 stick butter = $.50

One recipe of cornbread costs $1.30 to make.

I will need to visit the store to see how much a box of cornbread mix costs.  I know Jiffy is pretty popular and cheap.  I've never made it before so I do know what you add to make it.  I'll have to do a little research next week at the store!

No comments:

Post a Comment