Thursday, March 6, 2014

Chicken Broth

Chicken broth is a recent addition to my meals.  I've only been making my own for about a year now.  I have thrown in all kinds of spices and finally came up with a combination I love.  This particular broth recipe is the one I use when making soups or to cook rice or noodles in.  

Chicken Broth
Ingredients
1 chicken leg-quarter
4 cups of water
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 Tablespoon salt
1/2 Tablespoon garlic
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon celery salt

Directions
  1. Add all ingredients to a pot and place cook on low so that the water does not actually boil but still thoroughly cooks the chicken.
  2. Remove chicken from the water and strain out any chicken that have come off the bone so the broth will be clear.
  3. It is now ready for your favorite dish.
Notes
It depends on the size of the chicken on how long to cook.  I normally pull a leg quarter out of the freezer and put it directly into the water and cook it about 5-6 hours on low.  If you do not have that time, you and defrost or use fresh chicken and cut the time almost in half.

It is important not to boil the broth as it will become cloudy and some of the good proteins will be destroyed.

Sometimes, when I need a lot of broth, after I remove the chicken from the bone, I put the bones and skin and fat back in the pot and continue to cook on low until the bones are soft.  This allows all the minerals to leach out of the bones and makes your broth healthier.  I also add some more water and spices to get more broth to freeze. 

I freeze my broth in 2 cup containers/freezer bags.  This is the exact amount I use in most of my recipes.  I use 2 cups of broth to cook my rice and two cups when I make soup.

You most certainly can add veggies to your broth, like onions, carrots or celery, but I like to add the veggies into the actual recipes when I cook them.  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is homemade worth it?

1 chicken leg-quarter = $.50
1 teaspoon pepper = $.01
1/2 Tablespoon salt = $.02
1/2 Tablespoon garlic = $.045
1/2 teaspoon onion powder = $.01
1/2 teaspoon celery salt = $.11

One recipe of chicken broth costs $.75.

Keep in mind, you have around the equivalent of 2 cans of broth, already seasoned.

One can of broth costs around $1, so you will save $.25 making it yourself and get twice as much. 


Recipes that use chicken broth









                                                                          

 




No comments:

Post a Comment