Sunday, March 9, 2014

Cinnamon Rolls with Glaze

Cinnamon rolls are one of my favorite desserts/breakfast items to eat.  I could eat them everyday!  I love the ooey gooey texture and the cinnamon-sugar taste.  Growing up, I only had cinnamon rolls out of a can or from a bakery.  I never had homemade cinnamon rolls before getting married.  After getting married, I tried several recipes to make them myself, but none of them turned out quite right.  The taste would be there, but the texture would be wrong, or the texture would be good but not taste.  Well, I finally found a recipe that encompasses everything I love about cinnamon rolls.

I used aspects from the various recipes that I liked to create this combination for, in my opinion, the perfect cinnamon roll.  I found the pizza recipe at Lauren's Latest.  I found the filling recipe at Sweet Tea and Cornbread. The glaze recipe I basically already knew.  When all of them were mixed together, I made what is pictured below.



Cinnamon Rolls
Ingredients
1 recipe pizza dough
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 recipe vanilla glaze
 
Directions

  1. Stretch or roll dough out into a rectangular shape about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. 
  2. Spread melted butter across dough.
  3. Mix cinnamon and both kinds of sugar and sprinkle it all over the dough.
  4. Roll the dough up using the long end.
  5. Cut rolls about 1 - 1 1/2 inches thick, depending on how large you want your rolls, and place them in a buttered pan.  Make sure the rolls do not touch.  You will need 2 round pans or a 9x13 pan.
  6. Let rise for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
  7. Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown.
  8. Pour glaze on top as soon as you remove from the oven.
Notes
Depending on how large you cut the rolls, you will make approx. 10 to 12 rolls.

You can also use 1/2 recipe of yeast rolls or frozen bread dough instead of pizza dough.

For the pizza dough recipe, click HERE

For the vanilla glaze recipe, click HERE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is homemade worth it?

1 recipe pizza dough = $.94
1 cup sugar = $.25
1 cup brown sugar = $.43
2 teaspoons cinnamon = $.04
2 Tablespoons butter = $.13
1 recipe glaze = $1.03

This recipe costs $2.22 to make. 

A can of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls cost $2.50 for a can of 8.  Right there you can already see making them yourself is cheaper.   Since the recipe above makes more than 8 and is already $.28 cheaper. Not to mention, the recipe's cinnamon rolls are a lot bigger.





No comments:

Post a Comment