Sunday, March 9, 2014

Hush Puppies

A southern favorite to go with seafood!  (And apparently barbeque...)  This is the recipe my grandmother uses to make them. I can never get mine to taste exactly like her's, but isn't that how it always works? 



Hush Puppies
Ingredients
1 cup self rising flour 
1/2 cup corn meal
1 egg             
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 cup buttermilk 

Directions
  1. Combine flour and corn meal into a bowl.  
  2. Add the onion and egg.  
  3. Slowly stir in the buttermilk until the mixture is moist but still very thick.  You may not need all the buttermilk.  
  4. Drop teaspoon sized balls into preheated oil (around 350 degrees).     
  5. Fry until golden brown. 
Notes
Traditionally my family uses a deep fryer to cook these in, but you can pan fry them in an inch of oil in a frying pan.  The ones pictured were cooked that way.

One recipe will make a lot of hush puppies, around 24-30.  For my family of 3, I cook half a recipe and still have leftovers.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is homemade worth it?

1 cup self rising flour = $.10
1/2 cup corn meal = $.19
1 egg = $.14
1/2 cup onion, chopped = $.20
1 cup buttermilk = $.25

One recipe = $.88.  

I know you can buy frozen hush puppies, and after a little searching, I learned that they make mixes too!  So, when I go to the store next, I'll have to look at the prices then update this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment