Monday, March 3, 2014

Fried Flounder

This is absolutely my daughter's favorite recipe.  She will eat two pieces all by herself (and she is not even two.)  She loves to hear mommy is cooking "pish" and always runs to the table where she hears me proclaim it is time to eat.
 
  
Fried Flounder
Ingredients
3 flounder fillet
1 cup self rising flour
1 Tablespoon seasoning salt

Directions
  1. (optional) Divide each fillet in half.
  2. Mix the flour and seasoning salt together.
  3. Coat the flounder in the flour mixture until well coated.
  4. Fry in oil around 350 degrees, until golden brown.  
  5. Drain on paper towel.
Notes
If frying in a pan, you will flip the fish after 3-4 minutes of cooking.  The whole cooking process should not take more than 10 minutes.

For a crispier crust, let the fish sit in the flour for a few minutes.

Have fresh caught fish?  Use it!  I have used this same recipe with tilapia and sand trout.  I imagine it would work for just about any salt water fish.  I have not tried it with catfish or other freshwater fish, so I cannot comment on that.

For the seasoning salt recipe, click HERE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Is homemade worth it?

3 flounder fillet = $2.39
1 cup self rising flour  = $.10
1 Tablespoon seasoning salt = $.06

I buy a bag of frozen flounder for $3.99.  There are 5 fillets in each bag.  I used these numbers to calculate the cost.

One recipe costs $2.55.  Each piece of flounder = $.43.  Keep in mind I cut my fish in half so I calculated the cost of each that way.  Each piece is approx the same size as you would find frozen fish fillet from Gordan's or Mrs. Paul's.

If you were to buy frozen fish fillets, you would pay around $6.00 for a box containing 10 fillets.  So, one fillet of frozen fish would cost $.60

If you were to make your own fish instead of buying it frozen, you would save $.17 per fillet, or $1.02 per recipe.  We have fish once a month, so we will save $12.24 each year buy making fried fish at home.

Summery

One frozen fish fillet = $.60
One fried flounder fillet = $.43

No comments:

Post a Comment